Monday, August 11, 2008

Kelly - Second day

I started the polyphasic sleep cycle yesterday. Apparently I'm sleeping on Alex's floor. My mattress got soaked to death from the rain on the trip down and is currently outside drying. I hear that mattresses die if they get wet, but we'll find that out later.

So, I'm like 5 naps in now? I can't remember, they all run together. My first nap was at 11:20 yesterday, so how many does that make? It's not been bad at all so far, I feel pretty alert right now (but from my previous experiences, you feel the effects less during daylight) and didn't have too much trouble staying awake last night.

I'm just beginning to settle in now. I've unpacked my computer and drums and some of the clothes. I've taken off the doors to my closet, to make my monstrous 6 (or 8 at the widest part) x 10 room seem even more cavernous. Of course, the floor is still littered with random crap and boxes of computer equipment. I hijacked one of Alex's fold up tables and fashioned it into a makeshift desk... that Alex is actually currently occupying.

I think that I'm at minor sleep deprivation right now, I slept through the 2-4th naps but the 5th one had me just worrying about paying rent, so I'm not so tired that I just fall asleep. I'm probably too sleepy to safely drive at this point, so it's walking everywhere from now until I'm fully transitioned. Also, the floor in Alex's room is not the most comfortable arrangement to sleep on, but I don't think that will matter very much in the next few days.

So far, we've ran around worcester, gone to the local supermarket and purchased a small amount of food (we want to keep our food on hand low so we'll have to walk to eat), and soap, a razor and shampoo. We stopped by the WPI campus center, read about current activities to see if we could find somehting to do in the next weeks. It turns out: worcester is a boring place in the summer. Like Alex suggested earlier, we might travel by train to boston and stay with one of his friends, hopefully finding some interesting activities (Alex calls them "ubran adventures"). The only problem with this is probably the train ride, because trains are really boring and we won't have much flexibility for doing stuff to keep us awake.

When things get bad
I've devised a mechansim to drop soda cans on us while we sleep if we over shoot our naps and don't wake up or disable the alarms some how. It's a pretty simple construction, it's basically a hinged plank with the pin attached to an electric motor. The most complicated part is calibrating some kind of light switch timer to set the motor off 5 minutes after we're supposed to wake up. It'll take a bit of playing with to get it right.

Well, I'm planning on making up a chart of how happy I feel every day, to actually if my total happiness increases over the whole time I've started the experiment compared with something like how happy I'd be if I were boring monophasic. I'll have to figure out how to get a graph in here or something, I'll try to make it a page element like the awesome nap timer.

No comments: