Friday, August 22, 2008

Kelly Day 12? I can't remember.

Some good news first. I feel like I'm pretty close to being fully transitioned. I've definitely gotten past the worst part. I'm getting immediate REM sleep during the day- the 3 pm, 7 pm and 11 pm naps leave me feeling refreshed and alert, when I do fall asleep. That's right, the 3 PM nap leaves me so refreshed that I can't fall asleep consistently during the 7 pm nap. When I do just lay there, I end up crashing right around 11:00, so it's coincident with a nap, almost. You might think this works out, but it seems as if the sleep debt accumulated is not dispersed enough by the 11 pm nap, so I feel pretty dead (though not as bad as during my stay at MIT) during the morning hours up to around 11 am, when it starts catching up again. So during the morning hours, oversleeping ocurrs and general microsleeping happens if I try to play video games or do anything comfortable. So alex and I still spend our mornings walking to stay alert.

I'm hoping this will change, though I fear it might be in some kind of equilibrium. I am getting REM sleep so, I can survive like this, just not comfortably. I need to be getting it more throughout the morning hours. I guess like, maybe it'll just change if I keep sleeping the cycle, and not screwing up. Alex and I overslept about 3 hours 3 days ago, somehow we forgot to set the our really good alarm. I'm getting small, 10 minute naps when left un-attended from microsleeping in my chair occassionally too. I don't know how much that is screwing me up, but if I'm getting rem in those tiny naps, then it probably will. Though, I can actually tell when I'm getting REM, because like they said, you have vivid dreams, and also, it feels much much much longer than 20 minutes sleeping. It's actually just like sleeping all night. It's magic. It's polyphasic.

I would be completely confident in saying that I'm polyphasic at this point. If I can get the night time sleep under control then I will call this experiment a success and become some kind of sleep superhero.

Unfortunately, I don't know how well Alex is doing. He has become more managable in his sleep-anywhere policy, but he's still consistently extra-napping. He expects me to wake him whenever he falls alseep on my floor, and I try to, but he's not very cooperative. I can fight him, but it gets to a point where I don't know how to wake him without violence or absurdity. Example: Last time he fell asleep on my floor, I piled everything on the floor in my room on top of him. This got to be quite an impressive stack, 4 text books, 3 large boxes of computer equipment (top heavy, stacked) a laundry hamper, some dirty clothes and miscellanious trash. I was going to put the lamp on him, but he woke up when I put my leather hat on his head. Yeah, you'd think it'd be the extreme weight of the stuff on him, but no, it was the hat. He wiggled around, confused (apparently he doesn't remember whats going on when he falls asleep) and I just rofl-coptered for about 5 minutes straight, because it was pretty hilarious looking. Then he complained that I should have taken a more direct route to waking him, but he fails to realize- this was the only and most direct route to waking him. Anyways...

I'm hoping to become a super hero some day soon, and with the power of anti-sleep, I will perform feats of immeasurable awesomeness.

No comments: